Tuesday 10 April 2018

Writing observation 29.3.18

My tutor teacher Mary observed me teaching a
writing lesson. Here are her notes from her observation:

Put up your hand if you have a dog at home.
Chn interested and engaged “ I have a puppy” I have a dog’
I have a cat:
Gave specific instructions –
I want you to turn and talk to your partner about your dog
or a dog that you have seen.
I like those people who followed instructions.
Have a think
T modelled “My dog is …….”
chn: my dog is black
my dog is spotty T had modelling book with dog
picture and lines.
What is the word
Capital why ? because it is starting ZM because it is
the starting letter.
Who can come up and write the first word? Avah
Dog is not on the word card.
who can hear the first letter. What letter can we hear in the middle.
HR d-o-g.
Who can write the word is? AS
Good boy for remembering your finger space.
Is is in the red box.
LV what sounds can you hear and write in spotty.
Used te reo to praise. Ka pai.
What do we put at the end of the sentence?
Lets read it all together.
I am going to write one more sentence.
What colour is my dog? approximated and wrote
black and white. Chn all putting hand up and offering
letter sounds
What box is the word and in?
Re focussed students by pointing to visual chart.
Lets read our whole story together.
Chn still listening, attempting to
hear letter sounds.
T told them about the magic e
letter at the end of white.
T gave out books and reminded chn
what side of the page they had to write on.   
Reminded some chn of their goal for today
LV – remember to write a nice long story.
Get out yuor alphabet card .
Chn knew exactly what was expected of them
and settled down to work quickly.
Positive encouragement for chn who got straight
down to work. Gave date stamp to tables working quietly.
Much positive encouragement to chn working quickly,
conscientiously. All chn on task. and keen to write.
BH – look at my dog. S saying to herself “My dog is…. “
Praised A for using adjectives my puppy is cute and soft.
Nice atmosphere with calm thinking and
writing going on. Good vibe. Chn very keen and on task.
AS tell me the sentence you are writing “I have a dog”
T helped him HR the word have.
Can you write me one more sentence.
Great brain storm of describing words.
angry, fluffy, pretty, pink, can play, fast, cute.
Variations. My dog is cute. He went to play. He is hiding in a shoe.
My dog can woof.
Gave praise for writing 2 sentences
L – good describing “ my dog is spotty. My dog is soft.
I like my dog” – 3 sentences. – over and above what was asked.
Good sounding out those words, S
Reminded what goes at the end of your sentence
Conferenced students individually.
All chn brought writing to T when finished.
Routines well established. T checked story and
chn placed in marking box. Chn went to next task quietly.


Lovely manner with students. Called over E - how are you feeling?
I am worried about you today - did you have a late nite?
E - I am tired. - go and lie down - E asleep within a minute!


Obviously has a very good
relationship with students. Caring and reciprocal.


No comments:

Post a Comment