Tuesday 15 August 2017

Reflection on Term 2



Reflection on Term 2


The class has been more settled in Term 2.  I think this is because I have been following behaviour management plan carefully and identified routines that needed to be clarified.  I still need to do further work on getting the children to use voices of an appropriate volume, and looking after property. I am going to work with the RTLB in term 3 on this.  


Using language experiences has continued to be useful for engaging students in writing.  We have done lots of food-based language experiences like eating mango, telling the difference between sugar and salt, icing gingerbread cookies and eating sour lemon.  


In maths, I have some students who have been struggling with simple addition - I have been giving them lots of practice with picture cards with dominoes on to reinforce this.  I have noticed that having the visual representation of the numbers really helps and most of these struggling children are now able to write a simple addition equation correctly.  


In reading, I have been looking for an alternative to the taskboard.  I would like to have more of a Daily 5 kind of system, where children have a choice in the order they complete activities, as long as they complete them in the given time.  I have been reading about how to introduce parts of the Daily 5 such as building reading stamina, so may introduce this in Term 3.  Other ideas are a must do/may do system or a change to the way the taskboard is organised.  
I am thinking about starting a new reading group for my very low readers just focused on sight words and alphabet - having had a new girl start who is very low in reading and writing is making me think I need this.  


This is the list I made of things to change for Term 3:


Must do/may do system for reading instead of taskboard? Or Daily 5?


New songs


Display maths resources better - small labelled boxes on top of trolley.  


Make box of activities for lowest writing box to do independently.


More number recognition/ordering activities for lower maths children.  


Add velcro to the Colourful Semantics sentence cards so they’re easier to use.  

Group norms for maths clearly displayed to remind me and the children of these norms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment