Friday 21 April 2017

Observation 8/3/17 - Reading Recovery

Today I watched Hitha doing reading recovery with one of my students, Tui, reading at level 7.  I found it really helpful to see the way she introduced a new book “Bingo’s Birthday” to him, just reading the part on each page where the character was talking, and talking about the picture.  She stopped Tui at the point where the girl was giving the dog a present and got him to predict what might be in the present then went back to the start and got him to read to check if his prediction was correct.  This established a purpose for reading - I reflected that I had been giving too much of the story away when introducing texts.
When Hitha got Tui to read a book he had previously read she got him to choose a picture to talk about - I thought this was a great oral language prompt.  Tui wrote down what was happening in the picture then Hitha turned this into a sentence strip - Munni has been recommending that I use these but I hadn’t seen them in action before so it was valuable to see. Tui reconstructed the sentence and Hitha gave it to him in an envelope to take home.  
Hitha also got Tui to sort magnetic letters on the whiteboard into groups of the same letter. I thought this would be a great activity for some of my children who are struggling with their letter recognition.  

Takeaway: Use magnetic letters as an activity to help with letter recognition.
Use cut up sentences as a way of helping with sentence structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment